Sash Glazing Easel

Remove old panes & putty, cut & clean glass, putty & paint.
johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Sash Glazing Easel

Postby johnleeke » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Here's a picture of the sash easel we often build for my projects to make de-glazing, glazing and painting easier on the back:

SashEasel-0315.JPG
SashEasel-0315.JPG (117.44 KiB) Viewed 16188 times

The easel holds the sash so it is easier to work on. To use the easel, lean it against a wall and set the sash on the bottom rail.

Here are the latest improvements:

GlazingEaselFull-IMG_2974.png
sash easel
GlazingEaselCloseUp-IMG_2999.png
sash easel
GlazingEaselCloseUp-IMG_2999.png (163.86 KiB) Viewed 10174 times

WindowEquipmentEasel.png

Instructions for Assembly of a Sash Glazing Easel

Resources: about $30 materials, 1 hour to make

Materials:
(3) 2x4s, 2”x4”x8’, wood, construction grade, select for straightness and no twist
(4) 1”x3”x10’ wood strapping (aka furring strips, with rounded edges if available)
(6) 3” drywall screws
(18) 1 5/8” drywall screws
(6) 1 1/4” drywall screws
(1) 7/16” x 36” diameter wood dowel
(1) Varnish, quart acrylic waterborne varnish (can use leftover from bench)
(1) sheet sandpaper, 220grit

Tools: Light Carpentry tool kit, Paint kit, 1/2” diameter twist bit

Construction:

1. Cut the 2x4 bottom rail and 1x3 top rail to length, make length the same as the width of the sash.

2. Begin assembly working flat on a bench or sawhorses.
WindowEquipmentEaselFrame.png
WindowEquipmentEaselFrame.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 22713 times

Lay the posts on edge and parallel to each other. Lay the rails square to the posts. Position the bottom rail 40” from the bottom ends of posts, or belly button height of the worker. Position the top rail 48” above the bottom rail. When screwing parts together always drill shank holes in the top part. Screw the rails onto the posts. Screw the bottom 2x4 rail on with three 3” screws at each end. Screw the top 1x3 rail on with two 1 5/8” screws at each end.

3. Flip the frame over and screw the 1x3 battens onto the rails
WindowEquipmentEaselFrameBattens.png
WindowEquipmentEaselFrameBattens.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 22713 times

with three 1 1/4” screws in the top ends and two 1 5/8” screws in the bottom end.

4. Screw the diagonal braces to the back edge of the posts
WindowEquipmentEaselFrameBraces.png
WindowEquipmentEaselFrameBraces.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 22713 times

with 1 5/8” screws, two at each end. Keep the bottom of the braces 6” away from the bottom end of the posts. Let the braces bow and lap over each other at the middle.

5. Drill a series of 1/2” holes 1 1/2” deep in the edge of each post beneath the top rail.

Space the holes 1 1/2” apart. Cut two pegs 4” long from the dowels. Make two wedges 2” wide x 14” long and drill a hole in each wedge and hang it on a screw in the side of the post.
WindowEquipmentEaselWedgePin.png

Then set a sash on the bottom rail, stick the pegs in the holes just above the sash and lightly tap in the wedges, which hold the sash in place.

6. Apply two coats of varnish to all parts of the easel except wedges and pegs to make a smooth cleanable surface. Apply a third coat to the bottom rail. Allow each coat to dry and sand lightly between coats to smooth off nibs and whiskers.

Ashley S-B
Interests:

Re: Sash Glazing Easel

Postby Ashley S-B » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Hi John,

What size windows can this easel accommodate? This spring my plan is to pull windows from my 1904 home ranging in size from 41" x 35"; 27" x 21"; 25" x 23" for major rehab and restoration.

Would this easel work for all of those sizes?

Thanks so much in advance. This site helped me to successfully restore my first window this past summer, and I'm ready to take on more! I realized, however, how useful an easel would have been to complete the project.

Peace,

Ashley

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Ashley, welcome to the Forum!

If you make the horizontal rails 30" long that should suit you. It's OK if the sashes extend out over the sides of the easel a few inches. Since you have some sashes that are 41" inches, you'll want to place the top rail at least 42" above the bottom rail.

best of success with your window work

Erin
Interests: Windowpreservation

Postby Erin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:26 am

Thank you for the plans; I’ve been studying and training/apprenticing to restore windows in Vermont, but am just now setting up my own little shop. This is a solid piece of furniture—can’t wait to use it! I added an extra 2x4 piece to make a wider ledge for the windows to sit upon, and skipped the holes/wedges, since I don’t do any scraping on easels, just glazing and painting. I did put on three layers of spar urethane, but it isn’t on in this picture.
Attachments
825D8B8C-A15A-4B72-AD82-85968553027E.jpeg
64A52DB2-4282-4D98-86D7-0CD165E50B92.jpeg

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:45 pm

Erin, excellent !

Who are you training with?

Erin
Interests: Windowpreservation

Postby Erin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 pm

Sally Fishburn in Danville. She’s been kind enough to let me join her periodically in the workshop, and I’ve been going to Vermont Preservation Trust window work events and helping local handymen. Anything to get going.

Return to “Glaze & Paint Sashes”