1950s & 1960s Windows

Determine the types of windows and document their location and construction.
Scuderia01
Interests: I have large window wall with insulated glass units. One of the glass units broke and needs replacing. Looking for info on how to fix

Re: 1950s & 1960s Windows

Postby Scuderia01 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:48 pm

Looking for any information on if its possible to remove the sash from this window system. House was built in 1919 and window put in later, as you can see its welded insulated glass. I need to replace a section of glass and would like to maintain the pressure fit insulated system. See attached images, all (9) sections are identical.
Attachments
20210119_131353.jpg
20210120_153923.jpg
20210120_153847.jpg

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Re: 1950s & 1960s Windows

Postby johnleeke » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:42 pm

The welded-glass IGUs (Insulated Glass Unit) are no longer made.
The sash with the broken IGU should be removable.
A good approach would be to remove the sash and take it to glass shop that knows how to disassemble the sash, have a new IGU made and reassemble the sash with the new IGU. You might find a glass shop that would come to the site and do the removal and re-installation.

Moriartc
Interests: I am buying a home in West Hartford built in 1955 and from the original owner who appears to have cared well for the home.

What kind of window is THIS?

Postby Moriartc » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 pm

I just bought a 1955 ranch in West Hartford and I would like to repair the windows. Some need aesthetic work but others won't open.
To give you an idea what they look like....bc I don't have pictures....they are horizontal sliders, wood frame, but both sashes are in line with each other. When you twist the pivot handle at the center of the window, a pin is pulled and one window follows a track AROUND the other to open...like, it actually curves around the other.
I have not been able to identify what these are called, but i think it would help in repairing them.
I know one thing I likely need to do (just for illustration's sake) is wax the track in the wood on which the one sash glides around the other,
Any help IDing these would be great! I have about 12 of them!
Caitlin

Return to “Survey and Document Windows”