Sash Carts & Racks

What is the stuff that really works? Where to get it. Why do you like it?
johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Sash Carts & Racks

Postby johnleeke » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 pm

SANY9719.JPG

Photo: Wall Rack above, mobile Sash Cart below
For decades I had worked on only 2 or 3 windows at a time. It was easy to find a place in the shop to set a few windows while putty skinned over and paint dried. Then, I got a project working on 43 sash and had to get much more efficient handling and storing sash. So I built Sash Racks that hang on the wall and Sash Carts I can roll around the shop. I sized the racks and carts so the carts fit neatly underneath the racks.

Here is how I built the Sash Carts.

Materials:
(1) 1/4” x 4’x 8’ sheet of AC plywood, birch veneer, select for flatness (no twist or cup)
(6) 1”x3”x10’ wood strapping (aka furring strips, with rounded edges if available)
(2) 2”x3”x8' wood studs (for base frame)
(60) 1 5/8” drywall screws
(36) 1 ¼” drywall screws
(1) quart clear acrylic waterborne varnish
(1) sheet 220grit sandpaper
(2) Casters, 3” wheel, fixed (in line)
(2) Casters, 3” wheel, swivel, with lock or brake
(16) Machine screws & hex nuts, washers, flathead, steel, size to match holes in casters and thickness of base assembly (1/4”-20 x 2”).
(6) Hinges, 3/4” x 2”, with 3/4” flathead screws

Tools:
Light carpentry tool kit
Paint kit with 3” polyester bristle paint brush

Construction:
Labor: crew of 2, about 8 man-hours over three days, ready for use the forth day. see construction drawings.

SashCart.png

1. Cut plywood to size: about 36” to 45” x 48”, or to fit sashes. Make the cuts exactly square. Smooth off splintery edges with sandpaper or rasp. Layout and cut “sawtooth” spacers.
2. Cut 2x3s to length for base frame. Base length on size of plywood. Make one base part 12” longer than plywood.
3. Cut posts to 36” length, size rails to fit.

SashCartSide.png

4. Screw the parts together. Drill shank-holes for screws on all sash cart parts. Screw plywood to base frame, then assemble end frames of posts and rails, then screw end frames to base, then screw on long rails and braces. Finally screw top rails on end frames.
5. Round the ends of the top rails with a rasp. Smooth rails with sandpaper.
6. Sand the top surface of the plywood with sandpaper and dust off.
7. Apply two coats of varnish to all parts to make a smooth cleanable surface. Allow each coat to dry and sand lightly between coats to smooth off nibs and whiskers. Apply a third coat to the top surface of the base.

SashCartCasters.png

8. Fasten casters to bottom frame with machine screws.

SashCartSpacers.png
SANY9724.png

9. Make sash spacers. Size “sawteeth” to hold sash 1” apart and fasten on with hinges. The spacers can be flipped up out of the way so more sash can be packed onto the cart.

You can get a glimpse of the cart in action at the beginning of this video:

Return to “Materials, Products & Tools”