Stationary Window--repair or replace?

Repair methods, procedures and details.
Ashley S-B

Stationary Window--repair or replace?

Postby Ashley S-B » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi there,

I'm preparing for multiple window projects this upcoming spring. One of the biggest (which I may not get to this spring) is our huge picture window at the front of the house, south facing. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it/possible for us to fix it, or if we should start getting estimates for complete replacement (which will more than likely be completely out of our budget.) I'm hoping you all can help me assess this situation--so here it goes.

IMG_20161119_095340055_HDR.jpg

As you may or may not be able to see from the pictures, the window is actually in three parts. Two large picture windows installed on top of each other. An attempt, I'm assuming, to create a "double-glazed" effect. Each window measures approximately 53" x 47".

The outside window has four panes. One pane is cracked in the corner, and the entire sash is held together with nails, screws, glue, silicone, and putty. The state that it is in, I'm a little surprised that it is even holding together. The outside edges of the sash appear to be cracked and painted over, the whole sash not really fitting into space very well. It is held in by 3 or 4 wood screws. I'm not sure if this can be repaired, or if it just needs to be replaced.

IMG_20161119_095354489_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161119_095429734_HDR.jpg

The interior window is one large panel. The interior side of this window is intact, but I can see from looking at it on the outside that there are either strips of wood holding the glass in place that are broken, or the glazing is degraded and breaking.

IMG_20161119_095424297_HDR.jpg

Above that is another fixed panel, approximately 53" x 24". I'm guessing, because of the deep recess on the exterior, that at one time there was an additional stained glass panel in this spot. The existing pane is cracked, and a piece of tape is holding it together.

IMG_20161119_095451347.jpg

What are your thoughts? My experience level in window restoration is very much "beginner" stage. I successfully restored one of our double hung windows this summer, which was in pretty bad shape. I had to do some major repairs to the lower sash, as it had rotted extensively, prior to re-glazing. I'm intending on tackling several other windows in our house this spring that are in equally as bad shape, which will build my experience, but, honestly, I'm not sure where to even start with the planning of this other bigger project...or if I should even attempt it.

Thanks so much in advance! The information in this forum was so helpful in being successful with my first project!

Peace,

Ashley

johnleeke
Site Admin

Re: Stationary Window--repair or replace?

Postby johnleeke » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Ashley,

While this window is bigger than the others you may be able to handle it. From what I see in the current photos it looks like they are repairable/maintainable and you should not have to replace them. If you feel "intimidated" by the larger size, I suggest doing a couple more of the normal sized windows to build your experience and confidence before you decide to have this window replaced. Post some more overall and closeup photos showing deteriorations if you want us to consider this further.

I agree with you that the top interior sash probably was originally stained glass or clear leaded glass. Are you sure the lower interior sash is fixed? No signs of sash tracks on the sides of jamb, or of pulleys and cords?

The storm window has a gap around it because they are originally intended to come off and on seasonally to exchange them with screens. Their "loose fit" at the edges of the storm looks normal to me. The fit that keeps out the wind is actually not visible, it is where the margin of the interior face of the storm meets the shoulder of the storm bed. The storm bed can be seen in the photo showing the top of the window, although there may have not ever been a storm up there. (You could possibly add one.)

Return to “Woodwork”