Side Stop Adjusters, Stop Bead Adjusters

Removing & installing sash, temporary boardup, frame & sill repairs, wall sealing, frame & trim painting.
johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Side Stop Adjusters, Stop Bead Adjusters

Postby johnleeke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Side Stop Adjusters (aka Stop Bead Adjusters)

SideStopBeadAdjuster.png
International Library of Technology, Builder's Hardware
SideStopBeadAdjuster.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 3095 times

Jeff writes,

> Do you have any experience with slotted stop bead adjusters? They have a logical appeal, but part of me (at age 56) thinks that having alternately tight or rattling windows is actually preferable to yet another seasonal maintenance obligation.
>

Yes. Traditionally the stops would be tightened up in the winter to limit air infiltration and prevent sash rattling in the wind; in the summer they were loosed to made the sash easier to open and close. What usually happens with bead adjusters these days, is they get adjusted to a balance somewhere between too loose and rattling sashes, and too tight and difficult to open, and then get left that way year-round. The advantage is that each window can be finely tuned to meet the need of how that window is used. Some windows are left tight because they are never opened, others are left loose because they are opened frequently. A further advantage is that when a room's use is changed the window stops can be adjusted to meet that new use.

Jefflevine
Interests:

Re: Side Stop Adjusters, Stop Bead Adjusters

Postby Jefflevine » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Well, I went ahead and ordered some from Kilian hardware.

John, do you have any suggestions on the best spacing?

Here is a mockup of a stop (57" total length) with 5, and then behind it, 4. Maybe even just 3 would be sufficient (top, bottom and center).

2017-12-09 11.35.17 (576x1024).jpg

But of course the 5 provides added bling!

Thanks,
Jeff

Jefflevine
Interests:

Postby Jefflevine » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Also, I imagine you drill a 1/2" hole all the way through the stop bead, as opposed to trying to do a 1/2" hole partway through to match the depth of the washer, with a slot behind it that matches the slot in the washer - that seems overly fussy for no good reason.

Jeff

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:16 pm

If your sides stops are straight and sturdy then 3 adjusters per stop is adequate. Yes, you drill the hole all the way through the stop.

Jefflevine
Interests:

Postby Jefflevine » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:37 pm

John, in the figure you posted above, it looks like the bottom adjuster is positioned roughly 3 inches from the end of the stop strip, more-or-less level with the top edge of the bottom rail. I expect the top one would be in an equivalent position. Do you have an opinion re whether that is best, or have you found a different positioning (e.g. closer to the center) to work/look better?

And, do you typically furnish the top strip with adjusters as well, or just nail that one in?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Jeff

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:18 pm

I position the adjusters about 3" above the bottom rail, about 3" above the meeting rails, and about 3" below the top rail. This allows some space for your hand to operate the screwdriver when installing and adjusting.

Jefflevine
Interests:

Postby Jefflevine » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks! And what about the top strip? An adjuster or two just for consistency? or nail it in?

Jeff

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:28 pm

I usually fasten the head stop with brads.

Return to “Site Work”