Initial assessment of windows I want to save

Determine the types of deterioration and their extent. Identify significant historic features and materials. Efficient ways to collect and present this information.
patrick
Interests:

Initial assessment of windows I want to save

Postby patrick » Fri May 30, 2014 10:43 pm

Greetings, I am a new member here. I have about 36 windows to restore, most are double hung sashes installed in 1909. The method I am interested in using is the "Swedish system". The windows are in reasonably good shape, except the interior wood (muntins, stiles, etc.) that have been subjected to a rather aggressive stripping by a previous homeowner about twenty to twenty-five years ago...now I'm stuck, I cant seem to upload images from my hard drive...sorry, as soon as I figure this out, I'll be back and continue. Apologies.

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Re: Initial assessment of windows I want to save

Postby johnleeke » Sat May 31, 2014 1:35 am

To add a photo to your post:

When writing the post, scroll down to the "Upload Attachment" section. Click on the "Browse button," which should bring up your computer's file selection feature, then select a file. Then click on the "Add the file" button. Then click on the "Submit" button to post your message and the photo.

dcummings
Interests:

Postby dcummings » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:12 am

What exactly is the "Swedish" system?

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:34 pm

I think Patrick may be referring to the system of painting and glazing sashes as described in the instructions for using Allback's Linseed Oil Putty and paints.

patrick
Interests:

Postby patrick » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Pardon my absence, my overseas assignment was supposed to be 3 months, turned into a year...bloody hell. John, thank you for your response, yes, I was referring to the system promoted by Allback. I'm beginning now to question if it's the right option for me. I have read about WRPs on on the GSA website, I'm now thinking it's the way to go. Unfortunately my pictures are too large to attach, I'll work on reducing the file size and re-upload. I'm so happy to resume this conversation after all this time and look forward to finalizing my methodology. Best

patrick
Interests:

Postby patrick » Fri May 01, 2015 8:34 am

I was able to reduce the size of the images. I think they show that the window is restorable, most of the damage coming from previous overly-aggressive restoration attempt.
Attachments
IMG_0454b.jpg
IMG_0461b.jpg
IMG_0458b.jpg

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Fri May 01, 2015 3:28 pm

Patrick, welcome back. I'm hoping you got home safe and sound.

I agree, the sash shown here is worth saving.

There is damage to the interior surface finish, which can be removed and renewed.

There is some limited surface wood damage on that top surface of the upper sash's meeting rail: surface weathering due to moisture and sunlight, and weather checks, which could be filled with wood-epoxy repair methods.

patrick
Interests:

Postby patrick » Fri May 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Thank you John. This will be a long term project, I have 36 windows to do (this one is probably the worst specimen). I've been looking at your videos, I like your methodology, trying both systems (Swedish vs. American) on two windows in the back of house and see how to proceed with the rest. Thanks for your reply and your superb efforts in the field of preservation. Best,

patrick
Interests:

Postby patrick » Sun May 17, 2015 5:47 am

Well, I have further assessed in very disorganized and stream of consciousness fashion my windows, at least first floor ones. I have found one nightmare sash, open to weather as my wife placed a window AC on it...in my defense/excuse making, I go abroad a lot, I didn't notice this unit there till now. This sash may require epoxy intervention, which raises a huge quandary....as I waver back and forth between Allback methodology and contemporary systems, I have to wonder whether I can incorporate Hans' all-natural system with an epoxy restoration. Cost is less of a consideration than a period-proper restoration to lovely windows of a lovely historic home, that I may very well die in...I will try to get Allback on the horn to find out if their system is compatible with epoxy consolidated windows...btw John, did I mention your two websites are addictive?

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Mon May 18, 2015 5:21 pm

wonder whether I can incorporate Hans' all-natural system with an epoxy restoration

Yes, you can do wood-epoxy repairs on the wooden parts of the sash. When the epoxy is cured and the repair is complete you can use any paint and putty materials over the epoxy surfaces. Be sure to sand or trim the surface of the cured epoxy to prevent paint adhesion problems.

Return to “Assess & Document Conditions”