Loose Sash Joints

Repair methods, procedures and details.
golazo
Interests:

Loose Sash Joints

Postby golazo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:55 pm

After removing the glass from my windows in my home, and realizing that there is considerable joint looseness and "rocking" back and forth -- I've recently taken to removing "pins" embedded in the sash joints so that I can use your dowel/peg insertion method seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJbHNoEk0-8

However, the pins in my windows look less like pins, and more just like rusty conical metal pieces (photos, pencil for reference).

John, what I find is that these pieces are at all four corners -- so at each joint. Do you recommend removing all pins, inspecting for rot and completing the process from the video at each corner? My windows are very unstable and with symmetrical gaps nearing 1/8"+. I'll add that the two top corners, where meeting rail meets sash (I think these are dovetailed and not mortise/tenon per se? -- forgive me am learning).
Attachments
pin2.jpeg
pin1.jpeg
Last edited by golazo on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Re: Loose Sash Joints

Postby johnleeke » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:59 pm

If the joint is loose or has an open gap that you want to close, then the procedure in the video should be good.

If you want confirmation on this, show some photos of the mortise & tenon joints.

golazo
Interests:

Postby golazo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:22 pm

See sash photos. The gap seen in the shot of the junction of bottom rail and stile has play when the sash is placed on ground and "rocked" gently side to side. Also, the rusted "nails" do not go all the way through the sash, but have are entered on the exterior side of the sash (through holes that have been puttied over) but do not extrude through the interior side. In fact, they seem to go in just about halfway, if not less, through the sash.
Attachments
image (3).jpeg
image (2).jpeg

golazo
Interests:

Postby golazo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Also John, see here, it is interesting that on my windows you cannot quite see the end of the tenons when looking at the sides of the rails. Instead, you can see it is covered by a very thin piece of wood, or in some cases, that wood had been bored out -- in which case you *can* see the small tenon about halfway into the rail. (See below).
Attachments
image (5).jpeg
image (4).jpeg

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Check to see if your glass will still fit in its opening if your close the gap.

Be sure to clean any junk or debris out of the gap before clamping it closed. For that the "crack took" is very handy, see it in use in this video at 6:29:

Return to “Woodwork”