How to remove the parting bead when the top sash meeting rail overlaps the parting bead?

Removing & installing sash, temporary boardup, frame & sill repairs, wall sealing, frame & trim painting.
robkleine
Interests: Restoring windows in our 1830ish house.

How to remove the parting bead when the top sash meeting rail overlaps the parting bead?

Postby robkleine » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:23 pm

Greetings!

For background: we believe our house. located in mid-coast Maine, was built sometime in the early to mid 1800s. Builders likely owned the wood mill that was adjacent to the house. All windows are original 2 over two single hung; most with original glass. All need to be reglazed and repainted. Interesting to me is that none of the windows have any lift hardware (is this period normal?).

Naturally, the first window I'm tackling is throwing an interesting challenge: The stops from window #1 came off easily. The lower sash came out easily. The top sash is stuck and the top sash meeting rail overlaps with the parting bead. And it is a second story window.

Photos: [url]https://imgur.com/a/AACWhC0[/url]

Two questions:

1. What is the function of the top sash meeting rail overlapping with the parting bead (i.e., why was the sash built this way)? To provide a better weather seal? Other?

2. Tips for removing the the upper sash when its meeting rail overlaps the parting bead would be most appreciated! My leading thoughts are to (a) unstick the sash, slide it down, then remove the parting bead or (b) if all else fails, destroy the parting bead, or (c) ... ?

Thanks!

Rob

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Re: How to remove the parting bead when the top sash meeting rail overlaps the parting bead?

Postby johnleeke » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:28 pm

Rob,
Welcome to the Forum!
The purpose of this detail is that the notch at the end of the lip on the meeting rail holds the parting bead in place.
The standard way to remove the parting bead is to lower the upper sash all the way down, then the parting bead can be gripped and wiggled loose, starting at the top, swinging the top out and then lifting the whole parting bead up and way from the notch.
Lowering the upper sash may be difficult if it is painted shut, and if the outer sash track has a heavy paint buildup. Here is a video that shows how to remove the paint in the outer sash track:
https://youtu.be/foPG0e8LNOc
See pages 39-44 in the Save America's Windows book for step-by-step details on Sash Removal. If you don't already have the book you can get it here:
https://saveamericaswindows.com/get-the-book/

best of success with your window work,
--John

robkleine
Interests: Restoring windows in our 1830ish house.

Re: How to remove the parting bead when the top sash meeting rail overlaps the parting bead?

Postby robkleine » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:42 pm

John,

Thank you for identifying the function of the lip on the upper sash meeting rail!

Assuming I am tracking correctly, the sash removal recipe in your book might be modified such that:

Step 4.5: Does the upper sash meeting rail have a lip around the parting bead?
If no, go to step 5
If yes, lower upper sash all the way down (if the upper sash is stuck or painted shut use sash loosening techniques described in step 5), then proceed to step 5
Step 5: Remove Parting Bead
Step 6: Remove Upper Sash

Thank you for pointing me to the window sash paint removal video! Helpful!

Best,

Rob

johnleeke
Site Admin
Interests:

Postby johnleeke » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Rob, I'm glad that's helpful. Feel free to keep us posted on your progress, right here on the Forum.

Return to “Site Work”